Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What does ministry look like?

Through the grapevine I was recently told that someone mentioned it was sad that I am "not in ministry" anymore.  I looked at the person relating this information and had a little bit of a meltdown.  Not a crying meltdown but an I'm-so-tired-of-this meltdown.  I was insulted.

My name may not be listed in a bulletin in some church as the "Director of...".  I may not hold a title that says I'm involved in the daily ministering to a group of individuals as an employee of a church or religious group.  There may not be a group of people that I am mentoring because it's my job but I am still, very involved in ministry.

I am involved in ministry to the woman who comes into my new office to sit awhile and talk about life. 

I am involved in ministry to the people on the light rail or bus who just need a smiling face or a listening ear for a moment.

I am involved in ministry to the youth at New Church by typing up the fliers and calendars and permission slips and researching the information for their trips every week.

I am involved in ministry to the Youth Pastor I work for by listening, talking, collaborating with and being a smiling face in the midst of frustration.

I am involved in ministry to the Young Adults I still meet with through living my life.  By sharing the ups and downs, the uncertainty and frustration, and my belief in God's goodness and continued work.

I am involved in ministry to my friends and family by simply clinging to the promise of God's providence.

And what in the world do we call the week I spent volunteering in Missouri with teenagers if not being "involved" in ministry?

I AM involved in ministry.  I just don't get PAID (mostly) to be in ministry...and to be honest, sometimes I believe the ministry I am involved with now is more authentic and God-filled than the ministry I did as a paid employee, simply because the barriers are being stripped away.  I no longer represent a church, I represent me and there is a lot more freedom involved in just being the person God created me to be.

How are you involved in ministry?

1 comment:

  1. Beautifuly stated!.. Your daily walk with God is your ministry in every way... Praise God, His plan is being worked as he sees fit.

    ReplyDelete