Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Thinking church...kinda incomplete

The sermon in church on Sunday was about being a family of believers.

Saturday night I sat in a car and listened to a 20-something talk about wanting to belong, really belong, to a community of believers again.

This morning on my commute I listened to a podcast from another preacher talking about belonging to the family of believers.
 
I sat on Saturday night with a group of 20 somethings that are longing to be connected and have found their own "church" (I use that word reallllllllyyyy loosely).  I was glad to be counted as one of them...just sad their community centered around such a fleeting thing.

 
I came home Sunday thinking about belonging to a family of believers, despite church names and denominations and how that all works.

I sat in the car Saturday night and longed for that community for my 20-something friend...(which, by the way, didn't just include 20 somethings but those in the more older and "wiser" set as well)...(that also is okay with women pastors and doesn't exclude people due to their sexual orientation, a combo that is getting harder and harder to find these days).

I listened to the podcast this morning on the bus and found myself wondering if we, as followers of Christ, truly want to be a family of believers or if we are so stuck in our labels we can't see beyond them.  Truth be told, I feel stuck but am scrambling to free myself.

I'm writing this wondering what God is up to...but then I'm constantly pondering on God's dealings.

No comments:

Post a Comment