Tuesday, October 4, 2011

When you walk in the door...

I'm doing a little church hopping lately.  For many different reasons, going to church where I used to work just, well, doesn't work for me anymore.  I am now in the position of "testing out" a bunch of different congregations, hoping to find a place to settle for awhile...or not.  Part of me is really enjoying not getting up on Sunday's and rushing to church.

Anyway, I am, by nature, an introvert and so seriously shy sometimes that going to someplace new totally freaks me out.  Especially if I have to go somewhere alone.  I've had back up (thanks Mom!).  I've also chosen to go to church at places that I know people.  I thought going to places where I know people would make it easier.  So far, I've had interesting results.

At one church we hadn't even walked in the door and we were greeted with exclamations of welcome.  We knew the greeters, we knew some of the people being greeted.  Walking inside the sanctuary I was spotted by three different people, two of whom enveloped me in huge hugs of welcome (we're so excited that you're here!).  After the service several people greeted us, chatted with us and generally made us feel very welcome.

Another Sunday at another church, we walked in the door and a couple of people said hello.  The Pastor was there and shook our hands.  The usher handed us bulletins, while talking with the people gathered around him but there was nothing else said.  During the service we were greeted, because we were instructed to greet people around us and after the service, well, my friend came up and said hello but really no one else.  It was easy to walk out the door feeling disconnected.

Right now, if I had to choose churches just based on how welcoming the people were (and I knew people, many people, at both churches) I would be going to the first church.  Which makes me wonder, how many people walked through the doors of my former church and never felt welcomed or encouraged to come back? How many people walk through the doors of churches every week and never feel like they connect because no one makes the effort to connect with them?  It's something that all churches need to think about.

My experiment will continue.  There are a few more churches that I'm going to visit.  I'll be interested to see what happens when I walk in the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment